Sticky Sweet

Nostalgia

One of my earliest memories is of watching baseball with my grandfather. He died just a couple of years after I was born, but my mom and I and my grandparents lived together so I reason that is why I can remember him, at all.

From everything I've ever heard about my grandfather he was an extraordinary man. He was a good provider, working very hard to care for his wife and 8 (8!) children. But he was more than that, as few men were in his time. He was hilarious, always out to make someone laugh. A good prankster he could trick you twice before you figured out he'd done it even once. He was good natured and a natural flirt-all the ladies loved him (apparently). Even though he gave his fair share of winks there was no doubt he loved my grandmother first, loved her only.

Anyway, I can remember distinctly times I spent with him watching the game. We both sat on this big round black leather footstool in the center of the living room, smack dab in front of the television. He'd yell at the television, but being a toddler, I had no clue what was going on so I'd just yell "Yeah!" in agreement with whatever he was shouting. He was the only person who could make me sit still. I was as impressed by him as everyone else was.


I guess the reason I'm thinking about this is that I just spent the last 3 hours thinking and writing about baseball, and baseball related products for the new column. I wrote notes last night, waiting for sleep to take me, and managed to crank out eight pages before it did; the most I've ever managed. Today, it just all fell into place; the easiest it's ever been. I may have been trying a little harder this time than I have the past couple of months, but I think I've just finally hit my stride. I see some things a lot more clearly than I did before. Today, I think my Grandpa would be proud.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

<< Home