Sticky Sweet

March 18th

Some years ago today, my Aunt Frances was born. As my Grandmother looked down at what would turn out to be her last child, I wonder if she knew what a special person she and my Grandfather had just brought into the world. From the stories I hear passed amongst my family, she has been a wonder all her life, these days topping her own personal best with each new year.

When she wanted to play guitar, she got a teacher. Now she writes songs and has even been to the recording studio a couple of times, allowing professional singers mix their voices with her words to make a satisfying combination.

When she wanted to change her life, shake things up a little, she set her mind to it and is now happier and more content with things than I think she had been for some time beforehand.

One of my most important memories is of my Aunt. I was 4 and she was preparing to get married and leave for Florida, where she would live for the next 8 years. She danced with me in the middle of the living room, singing "Tea For Two". Now, when I hear that song it always puts a smile on my face, and frankly, it doesn't happen often enough.

Years later, when I was in sixth grade, she came to visit and in a matter of hours had charmed my hellkitten, Kansas. Something I had tried for months to do, she managed in a day. I stared in amazement as Kansas curled right up and slept that night with her. To me, that was magical. She had 'the touch'.

My aunt has always been there for me even in my most idiotic, unglamorous moments. She offers support when I need it, and guidance when I am lost. She is the kind of family you want to have, and the kind of family you hope you are or wish you could be. She is one of my biggest fans and cheerleaders, and I hope she knows that I am one of hers too. I am proud of the person she grew up to be, and I feel it a privilege to know her.

The birthday card I bought her this year pretty much sums it up:

"You don't get to pick your relatives, but I just wanted you to know, If a vote ever comes up, I'm keeping you"

Happy Birthday Sissy.

Labels:

0 Comments:

<< Home