Sticky Sweet

Baby, I Never Should Have Left.

I'm homeless.

Whew! Best to get the big news out of the way first, right? Today is day 11 of my unfortunate homelessness. But don't fret: Today also starts week 2 of my temporarily living in an Inn.

To make a very long story shorter, my apartment flooded and in order to fix all the problems that demonic place has bestowed upon itself I had to move everything out so that plumbers and construction workers and whomever else my landlord could think of could rip and tear the inside out and start all over again. Since my lease was going to be up on the 20th anyway, I opted not to renew and instead just figured I'd take my chances. I had 4 days to move out before they started. 4 days to pack 6 years of life into a 17 foot U-haul and transport it across town to store in a 10x20 storage box. I found, that unless you are a master organizer you cannot fit 6 years of life, and school work and GIANT furniture (really, have you seen that treadmill? or the couch for that matter?). So I filled up the space and whatever was leftover was either donated, tossed, or given to my very nosy, very greedy neighbors, who in the last days of my residency there traipsed through my residence with hungry eyes (but not the sexy Patrick Swayze kind) asking things like "You're throwing THAT away?" or "I've been looking for one of those!"

Honestly! You were really looking for a battered ride-along pony circa 1985? Good thing I had one!

I think the last straw was when I saw a neighbor climb into the dumpster for a frigging roll or wrinkled strawberry shortcake gift wrap. Come on people!

It was all finally over last Tuesday and I've been apartment/house hunting ever since. There were no tears like when I moved in... just a loud "whoop!" of joy as I crossed the bridge. I'm so very happy that I have left the state. West Virginia (mostly just Huntington to my WV loving friends!), you stink. As I don't expect to live in the area more than another year (or so, no rush) It's good to know for the remainder of my time here, I will once again be a Kentucky lady.

Even though I have to return back to Huntington every day, it doesn't feel the same. It feels good, really good, to think "I don't live there anymore."

2 Comments:

Blogger Mandy said...

Hey chickadee, I've been going through the same thing. I got a job in Pittsburgh that wanted me to start July 9th. So I've been frantically house hunting in the city. Finally found a place on Friday, but now have to wait for a credit check to go through (who know they ran credit checks on rentals???) So anyhow, I hope to get the key Tuesday evening, start moving Wednesday, and have everything moved into the new house and out of the old by Sunday evening. And start my new job on Monday. Yikes! So yeah, I feel your pain.

Btw, I've been pretty much blogging on myspace, so if you ever get around to creating an account, let me know!

7/02/2007 10:35 AM  
Blogger Amelia said...

Oh wow! I'm totally coming to visit you. My cousin moved into a rental house a couple of years ago right out of college and they wound up credit checking his parents instead of him because he had no job. I'm so excited for you!

I started messing with my myspace account last night. It's definitely not finished (not even a picture yet) but It will be soon. I added you :)

7/02/2007 11:33 AM  

<< Home